Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Vanishing Mist...

"Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”

- James 4:13-15
                                                                                                                                                                                                               

I am probably the worst at setting big goals and pushing my own agenda to carry out "my plan". I've talked a lot about it. It's a problem that I'm working on with God. (Work in progress.) I can relate a lot to the people James was scolding in the verses above. 

I like having a plan.

I feel safe with my plan.

I'm a planner by nature.

But this week in the last 36 hours or so, after learning that my Grandmother passed away, really puts these verses into perspective. Sometimes life does not play by the plan.
                                                                                                                                         

My accomplishments, degrees, plans, though meaningful and purposeful, don't change the fact that I (we) am but a "mist that appears for a little while..." 

For some reason, I can tend to forget that truth sometimes. I forget that vital piece of knowledge when I make my long term goals, or write in my planner (with ink) what I'm scheduled to do for the upcoming days, months... I even have a cardiologist appointment made for the year 2020.


Tomorrow is NOT guaranteed & I should live and love like it's true. (This does not mean I should lose my mind and do whatever I want... but TRULY live and love because Jesus set me free.)


I'm not a procrastinator, but I am someone who (as mentioned earlier) can get so caught up in making plans that I can sometimes forget about here, now and today. Forgetting the question that James asked, "What is your life?" 


What is your life? 


What is my life?


Making plans and having goals is not a bad thing, but my plans a goals are not only what this life is about. 
                                                                                                                                                                   
Seriously, go tell someone you love them, that you're proud of them, and pray for them. 

I terribly miss my grandmother (beyond words), and through her passing I was given the reminder to not take tomorrow for granted as if it is automatically guaranteed
. 

Dealing with the death of someone you love is not easy. But as I process this, I'm thankful for her life and thankful that God is right here helping my family through this.

Love you & missing you, Grandma. <3333




James 4:14...More at http://beliefpics.christianpost.com:



No comments:

Post a Comment